Competence Person Scheme

Membership to a Competent Person Schemes (CPS) is not compulsory although it can be the easiest way to conform to Building Regulations and you may already be a member of a CPS. Your Competent Person Scheme provider will be able to assist you and may already have contacted you regarding this new regulation.

If you are not a member of a CPS, compliance with Building Regulations can still be made through notifying the Local Authority Building Control department who will then need to carry out an inspection of the installation on site.

Competent Persons Schemes are regulated to ensure that work carried out on buildings meet current Building Regulation standards.

Anyone who is a member of a CPS must comply with the requirements as set out by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing & Communities (DLUHC). The DLUHC requirements mean that installers and surveyors will need to demonstrate a Minimum Technical Competence (MTC) to be able to remain a member of a CPS

• Anyone who is conducting a survey will need to be assessed.
• Each installation team must have an MTC assessed installer on site.

MTC can be demonstrated by means of a relevant formal qualification such as an NVQ, or alternatively by means of a technical competencies assessment which is available through the appropriate Competent Persons Scheme or through local colleges.

If you wish to join a Competent Person Scheme for windows and doors then the details of current providers can be found below.

The Competent Persons Register, a site run by the Government Department for Communities and Local Government, provides more details about the schemes offered by each provider.

Competent Persons Register


If you have any queries relating to the information on the website please contact us.

Contact Us

Find an Installer

Search now

How can we help?

Contact form

Windows & Doors

Find out more